Friday, January 28, 2011

Intermittently Dashed Hopes

My plan to start this project in January is meeting with some serious roadblocks. First, I was sourcing High Impact Poly Styrene online - the shipping price was more than half the material cost. I asked a local business where they get their supply and called their referenced "emergency supplier" company - They don't have HIPS in stock at their local location, but can ship it to me for the low, low cost of... half the material cost.

I think I'm going to end up calling the sign store back to see what he can do for me. He offered to allow me to make an order through his regular supplier, delivered, I imagine, whenever he gets his own supplies.

Let's not even talk about resin pieces. All these details will cost me about $500, and who knows when I'll see them. The two guys who make resin body details are swamped with real life and other orders. There's a guy on eBay who makes a good chunk of these, some at half the price of the other guys, but he's not club-sanctioned, so it's a crap shoot to go with his stuff. Plus, I just added the parts up and I'd be saving a whopping $20 max. Who knows what shipping would be like since he's in the UK.

Then there's the skins. I figured I'd just order them pre-scored so I don't have to worry about screwing up one of the most visible parts. Well, again, real life has struck a supplier and these have been completely unavailable EVER SINCE I STARTED ASKING ABOUT THEM. I've politely asked every couple weeks if they have time to make them yet. I usually don't get a reply, but I saw that person send a message out to the R2 Builder's forum saying they'll take orders in a week or two.

Right now I'm taking note from C-3P0: We're doomed!

No comments:

Post a Comment